Hall chair, c.1840
Oak with painted decoration
This chair is one from a set of four designed by A.W.N. Pugin for his own use at The Grange, Ramsgate, Kent, and probably made by George Myers (1803–1875), London. The footless martlet, painted on the back, is a device from Pugin’s coat of arms. This chair was formerly in the collection of antiquarian Christopher Gibbs (b.1938).
Adam Bowett Catalogue (16/08/2012)
An oak hall chair, c.1840. The back is modelled as a quatrefoil with a sunk ground, painted with the Pugin family crest, over a rectangular boarded seat with a moulded edge, raised on shaped crocketted boarded ends joined by a shaped fore-and-aft stretcher fixed with tusked tenons, the lower part pierced with an ogival arch.
H: 40 ” (102cm) Seat height: 19” (48cm) W: 26 ½ “ (67cm) D: 26 ¾ “ (68cm)
Designer / Maker
A. W. N. Pugin (1812-1852) Designer
The chair is constructed in solid oak. The back is housed in a mortise in the seat. The two ends or ‘feet’ are similarly attached underneath. The back, seat and both ends are jointed up to width using slip tenons.
Marks or stamps
Condition is sound, well used and patinated with traces of original finish. The painted crest appears original.
Paul Atterbury (ed.), A W N Pugin – Master of the Gothic Revival, New Haven and London (1995), p. 353.
Purchased H. Blairman and Sons, April 2001